from Martha Stewart magazine, date unknown (around 2007)
Needs to be refrigerated for at least 4 hours.
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbls smoked paprika
1 Tbl coarse salt
1 whole chicken (3-4 lbs) rinsed
1. Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, paprika, and salt in a large resealable plastic bag or nonreactive baking dish, such as porcelain or glass.
2. To butterfly chicken: Remove backbone from chicken using kitchen shears. Then place chicken, breast side up, on cutting board and press firmly on breastbone to break it and flatten the chicken.
3. Add chicken to marinade and seal bag (or cover dish) and refrigerate for 4 or more hours, turning occasionally.
4. Heat grill to medium, discard marinade, and place chicken, skin-side down on grill. Close grill and cook for 15 min.
5. Flip chicken, close grill, and cook about 20 min. more, until meat thermometer reads 165 at thickest part of the breast.