This recipe calls for HALF of Liz's pasta sauce and is a combination of a number of other recipes, especially for the cheese mixture.
Pasta sauce can be made a day or two ahead of time.
1 (16 ounce) package ziti or penne pasta, cooked al dente and according to the box's directions
15 oz. ricotta cheese
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz. mixture of shredded parmesan and asiago cheeses
1 egg, beaten
Liz's pasta sauce (a half-recipe ought to do it) or, to save time, a (32 ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese for the topping
Oven to 375. Coat bottom of large lasagna casserole dish with cooking spray.
1. One or two days before (optional), prepare a half-recipe of Liz's pasta sauce. Set aside.
2. Cook according to directions until al dente; drain, rinse, and save in cold water. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, ricotta cheese, cheeses, egg, and 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce.
4. Gently mix in pasta.
5. Place 2-3 large ladles of pasta sauce at bottom of casserole dish.
6. Spoon pasta mixture into casserole dish and level off. Top with remaining sauce, followed by Parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.