From Famous French Desserts; click here for recipe
Sauce au Chocolat… This French classic will make all your desserts unforgettable!
Preparation Time: Less than 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 to 10 minutes
Jeanne modified this recipe, based on others. She added vanilla and sea salt.
Recipe relies on something like a double-boiler so as not to burn the chocloate. A metal bowl that can sit atop a saucepan of boiling water works too.
Recipe seemed to make between 1-1/2 to 2 cups of sauce; easily enough for 8-10 servings of ice cream!
approx. 4 oz. of dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa content. (Unsweetened Baking Chocolate can be used)
4 Tbsp. butter
10 oz. evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1. Heat water in saucepan (or lower part of a double-boiler) until steaming but not boiling.
2. Break chocolate into pieces.
3. Put all ingredients in a metal bowl (or in the top part of a double-boiler) and let melt over a low heat. Make sure that the water in the saucepan (double-boiler, bain-marie) never boils.
4. Stir constantly until the sauce has the thickness of a pudding.
5. Let cool slightly, pour into large measuring cup or gravy boat for easier serving.