Published in Cook's Illustrated
April 24, 2007
To see a full recipe (1 lb. of green beans) for these green beans, click here (Nov 2005).
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
In search of a green bean recipe that would breathe life into out-of-season vegetables, we discovered that roasting in a 450-degree oven with only oil, salt, and pepper transformed aged specimens into deeply caramelized, full-flavored beans.
An aluminum foil liner prevents burning on dark nonstick baking sheets. When using baking sheets with a light finish, foil is not required, but we recommend it for easy cleanup.
1/2 lb green beans, stem ends snapped off
1-1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
additional salt and pepper to taste
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans on baking sheet.
3. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly.
4. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Roast 10 minutes.
5. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, redistribute beans. Continue roasting until beans are dark golden brown in spots and have started to shrivel, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
6. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, transfer to serving bowl, and serve.