1. This is for 2 pounds of hamburger. (Amounts for 1 pound are in parentheses.)
2. Be sure the spices are relatively fresh.
3. Jeanne adds chili powder and tomato paste.
4. To refresh stale taco shells, heat oven to 325; place taco shells on baking sheet and heat 5-7 minutes until crisp. To warm up flour tortillas, put several on a plate and heat on high for 30-45 secs.
2 tsp Arrowroot (1 tsp)
1/4-1/2 tsp ground red pepper/cayenne (1/4 tsp minimum)
2 tsp ground cumin (1 tsp)
2 tsp garlic salt* (1 tsp)
1 tsp paprika (1/2 tsp)
Healthy pinch of chili powder (optional)
2-3 Tbl tomato paste (optional; 1-2 Tbl)
1-1/2 cups water (3/4 cup)
1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Cook 2 lbs ground beef and drain off fat when done. Add water and seasonings.
For 2 lbs of meat, use 2 Tbl + 1-1/4 tsp of the spice mixture (3-1/2 tsp for 1 lb of meat)
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
*To make your own garlic salt: Combine 3 parts salt and 1 part garlic powder.