From the AllRecipes website
Makes about 9 servings; can be used for cupcakes.
CAUTION: This cake is nowhere near as chocolatey as ATK's Simple Chocolate Sheet Cake!
1. Uses an 8" square pan; for cupcakes, makes about 14. (Fill cupcake wells leaving about 1/4" of space at the top of each. Bake for 20 min. Makes about 14 cupcakes.)
2. Okay to substitute vinegar with an equal amount of either lemon juice or sour cream.
3. If you don't have pastry flour, use 1-1/2 cups regular flour with 2 Tbl cornstarch.
4. This is essentially a vegan cake, since it uses no butter and no eggs. The flavor is a bit bland and I'm not sure how to boost the chocolate flavor.
1-1/2 cups sifted pastry flour (or substitute with regular flour and add 2 Tbl cornstarch)
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white vinegar (or sour cream or lemon juice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Before starting, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Into an UNgreased 8-inch square pan (or a large mixing bowl), sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Make a well in the center of the combined dry ingredients and pour in the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Mix until blended.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (If making cupcakes, fill cupcake wells leaving about 1/4" of space at the top of each. Bake for 20 min. Makes about 14 cupcakes.)