Yogurt Experiment

I found several recipes for greek yogurt (which is just yogurt strained to take out the whey).

They all said to heat the milk to at least 185F and Pioneer Woman said that 2T of yogurt per 2 cups of milk made more tart and thicker yogurt than 1T, as recommended by the NY Times

Experiment recipe (so as not to waste materials):

2 C whole milk
2T yogurt (with live cultures)

Cheesecloth for straining

While the milk is heating and cooling take yogurt out of fridge and bring to room temperature.

Heat the milk to 185F, stirring to prevent a skin from forming.

Remove from heat to cool to about 105F 120F. NOTE: I accidently cooled it to only 120 and it seemed to work fine. Maybe next time I will let it cool more. I wondered if I curdled the yogurt a bit with the liquid at 120.

Take some of the cooled milk and add it to the yogurt. Blend well.

Return the yogurt mixture to the pan and blend well. Place pan, covered, in the warming drawer at 100F for several hours (eight) on PROOF.

EXPERIMENT WITH TIME. EXPERIMENT WITH TEMP. NOTES: Temps and times are okay. It turned into yogurt at about eight hours!

Strain yogurt with a cheesecloth in the fridge overnight for just a few of hours! NOTE: It didn't take long for the small amount I made (2C milk) to get very firm, almost a soft cheese, just three hours or so.

Conclusion: This yogurt had a nice tang but without the sour notes I'm used to in commercial yogurt. I liked it better. I'm definitely doing this again, and making MORE.

Question: will it take more time to make a larger quantity?
Round 2 answer: it took more time to heat up a full gallon of milk.

What to do with the whey: MAKE REAL RICOTTA

What to do with the ricotta: MAKE CANNOLI



Comments

Popular Posts