From Ghirardelli ad
Similar recipes: Molten chocolate cake or Martha's Molten Chocolate Cakes
Makes 6 cakes with gooey, chocolatey centers
For the centers:
1/2 baking bar (2 oz) 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream
For the cake:
4 ounces or 1 baking bar of 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cake flour
1. Prepare the centers first by melting chocolate and cream together in double boiler. Whisk gently to blend.
2. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
3. Remove from fridge and form into 6 balls, then return to fridge and prepare the cakes.
4. Heat oven to 400 and spray six 4-oz. ramekins with cooking oil.
5. Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler, whisking gently to blend. (Set aside if not working simultaneously for step 6).
6. Use electric mixer to whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla on high for about 5 min or until thick and light.
7. Fold melted chocolate mixture and flour into egg mixture until just combined.
8. Spoon cake batter into ramekins and place a refrigerated chocolate ball into the middle of each one.
9. Bake about 15 min. or until cake is firm to the touch and let stand for about 5 min.
10. To serve, run a small sharp knife around inside of each ramekin, place a plate on top, and invert ramekin and plate, carefully removing ramekin.